Skip to main content

3/30 Good Friday

March 30, 2018 | 22 weeks

Ever since receiving the diagnosis, I had death on the forefront of my mind. I made multiple phone calls to multiple places talking about and making preparations for death. Most of my texts and emails were centered around the fatal diagnosis and the imminent death. There were good and bad things about this. I was so focused on the impending death, that I often failed to celebrate the little life inside of me. I had to be very intentional about making sure I was bonding with baby and not feeling like I was merely carrying a burden.

Having death on my mind that week leading up to Good Friday gave me just a glimpse of what our Savior endured for us when He willingly laid down His life for our sins on the cross. He asked, like I've asked so many times, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but Yours, be done.” Jesus knew He would be dealing with death soon. He was faced with death as I am faced with death. His body was beaten. He went through pain. I will have to endure a lot of physical pain for this one, because of the low amniotic fluid. He experienced the agony of death, the emotional pain associated with it. He underwent the suffering that is a reminder that things are not as they should be in this world because of sin. Death is an enemy. Death hurts. No matter how young or old the person is, unborn, stillborn, death is death.

How much more we were able to identify with Christ in His sufferings by getting a taste of that feeling of the impending doom and weight of death.

But death is not the end.

Jesus is risen, and with that resurrection is the hope that all things will be made new. That Jesus defeated death, and all of His enemies will be made a footstool at His feet, including death.

Lord, if You are willing, remove this cup from me...I would never choose to walk this road.

Not my will, but Yours be done...Ultimate submission to the will of God. That is my prayer in this.

And I take the greatest comfort in knowing that my Savior has already walked this road before and that He is fully acquainted with all my grief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

6/30 The First Month

June 30, 2018 | 1 Month I walked through a fatal diagnosis & am now on the other side of it. The doctors were right. Our baby Mila did die. May 31st. It was the saddest, most painful experience of our lives. But we are not alone. The Lord is near to the broken-hearted (Psalm 34:18), and He surrounded us with a whole army of support, and with many other broken, bereaving mamas who came alongside me to understand me, encourage me, and give me practical wisdom for the hardest journey of my life. Praise God, we made it through the first month. Some friends came over for a couple of hours this week. I haven't felt very social at all. Being back at church was hard. And I knew seeing local friends again, starting up music classes again, and going back to our regular life would be hard. I didn't want to just resume all our normal activities & pick up where we left off as if nothing ever happened. I have to remind myself that just because we're returning to all of our