Skip to main content

3/21 Finding a Supportive OB

March 21, 2018 | 21 weeks

I had a hard time making phone calls to insurance & doctors & the hospital. If I can't have the home birth I had planned on & I have to go the hospital route, I would like to just go to St. Jude, my local hospital. But first I needed to find an OB who would be supportive. One doctor already said he wouldn't take me as a patient because I'm too high risk. So that made me feel rejected on top of everything else. It's hard to make those phone calls and explain the situation over and over again, just to be rejected. I'm sad at what is going on with my baby, but at times, I get frustrated & even angry with my situation, and I take it out on whoever is around me, which 99% of the time is one of my poor kiddos :/

I prayed for a good supportive doctor to take me in. But then another doctor rejected me, too, and this one was a part of a whole suite of doctors, and the only remaining local doctors who deliver at my nearby hospital. Maybe I gave them too much information. I told them it was polycystic kidney disease & it's fatal & baby will not likely reach term & the amniotic fluid is low. They advised me to go see a perinatologist at UCI medical center.

At this point, I was feeling very frustrated and a little desperate. I asked to speak to the doctor directly to hear why she wouldn't take me. I didn't expect my request to be given any priority, but at noon the doctor did call. She called to explain to me why she wouldn't take me on as a patient, and she gave the same reasons: too high risk & I should be under the care of a perinatologist & they refer all their high risk moms to UCI Medical Center.

The local hospital is a Catholic hospital, and I figured they would be pro-life. The hospital with the hi-tech perinatologists that I kept getting referred to is a secular hospital. In all my researching, I came across multiple stories of women who were advised to "induce birth" at the discovery of such bad news. That might be one reason why it has been so difficult to find information online about how this kidney disease plays out. Some moms choose to end the pregnancy as soon as they hear the fatal diagnosis. Sadly, some are pressured to terminate and made to feel foolish if they don't. Since death is inevitable, they're told, why drag out the pregnancy any further? Inducing birth at 21 weeks, even for a perfectly healthy baby, is essentially killing the baby. The baby has no chance of surviving such a premature birth. We will not induce. We will wait and see what the Lord has ordained. We will wait, not because of a pro-life political view, but because as Christians, we will obey the commandment, "You shall not murder."

So with that in mind, I pushed back a little. I expressed to her my concern that I would be pressured to terminate the pregnancy at the secular hospital. After that, she said she was willing to give it a try.

Some friends had literally just finished praying with me when the phone rang, so that was a huge answer to prayer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

6/30 The First Month

June 30, 2018 | 1 Month I walked through a fatal diagnosis & am now on the other side of it. The doctors were right. Our baby Mila did die. May 31st. It was the saddest, most painful experience of our lives. But we are not alone. The Lord is near to the broken-hearted (Psalm 34:18), and He surrounded us with a whole army of support, and with many other broken, bereaving mamas who came alongside me to understand me, encourage me, and give me practical wisdom for the hardest journey of my life. Praise God, we made it through the first month. Some friends came over for a couple of hours this week. I haven't felt very social at all. Being back at church was hard. And I knew seeing local friends again, starting up music classes again, and going back to our regular life would be hard. I didn't want to just resume all our normal activities & pick up where we left off as if nothing ever happened. I have to remind myself that just because we're returning to all of our