Skip to main content

3/5 The First Bad News

March 5, 2018 | 18 1/2 weeks

In December, we discovered that we were expecting again, due Aug 2, but this did not carry the same joyful tune that it once did for us. After 6 uneventful pregnancies, giving us our 6 beautiful children, we experienced 2 losses last year. It was a really hard time for us. The pain and sorrow that I felt at the death of an unborn child was not at the same level as that of the death of a grown child, but still, I got a taste of that heartache. I know life goes on, and the loss of a child makes us more thankful for the ones that are here, but the memories linger and the pain resurfaces. It hurts, no matter how old the child is.

Being pregnant again brought mixed feelings. Feelings of joy & excitement, of course, but so often in the early months, those feelings of joy were overshadowed by a feeling of uncertainty. I was so worried that this one would be a miscarriage, too. In my anxiousness, I developed a habit of checking for blood every time I went to the bathroom, day or night. Every single time. I had to force myself not to check anymore. There was a time in January when I suddenly stopped feeling pregnancy symptoms, and I was convinced that the baby had died, but an early ultrasound instead showed a little baby with a strong heartbeat wiggling around inside of me. Still, though, it was hard for me share that we are expecting again.

A couple of subsequent appointments & good bloodwork results at 16 weeks all pointed to really good signs, and I was finally feeling less apprehensive about the baby & more comfortable sharing. In February, I sent out an announcement to friends and family, and I began to tell people in person, too (and I was beginning to show).

We went into my 18-week anatomy scan excited to see our baby up on the screen again and excited to find out whether we were having a boy or a girl. Our last 2 babies were surprises, and we wanted to find out this time. Our plan was to keep the news to ourselves for a month and then do a big reveal to family on Easter Sunday.

I remember on the way to the ultrasound, mentioning to Aaron that I thought I should be feeling more flutters by now, but I wasn't prepared for the bad news we were about to hear.

Once we were in the ultrasound room & all set up, we expected a cheerful, "ooh, there's baby" but instead the first question the ultrasound tech asked me was, "Are you leaking amniotic fluid?" Um, no, not that I was aware of... After that was complete silence. I finally just plain asked whether or not there was a heartbeat. There was, but it wasn't a great heartbeat: there was some fluid around the heart. Legally, the ultrasound tech couldn't give me much information, but from what I gathered, baby was measuring smaller than expected, there was less fluid than expected, and there was a little bit of fluid around the heart. She had my midwife consult with me before I left, and I was told further that it looked like there was something wrong with baby's kidneys in addition to the other things. I was charged to rest, hydrate with alkaline-electrolyte water, and see Dr. Devore, a perinatologist & maternal fetal medicine expert.

That was my first time ever having bad news at an ultrasound. We went home disappointed, but hopeful. As soon as I had a chance, I googled what I knew and tried to read up on and prepare myself for whatever condition my baby might possibly have. I came across all sorts of things, but the fluid around the heart made me think that we might be having a Down Syndrome baby. Definitely not the "healthy baby and pregnancy" what we were praying for and imagining, but at the same time, I thought: what a great family we would be for a special needs child to be born into, with 6 older siblings to love on this special baby.

We did ask whether we were having a boy or girl, and the tech told us what she thought, but that news kind of got lost amidst all the other news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

6/30 The First Month

June 30, 2018 | 1 Month I walked through a fatal diagnosis & am now on the other side of it. The doctors were right. Our baby Mila did die. May 31st. It was the saddest, most painful experience of our lives. But we are not alone. The Lord is near to the broken-hearted (Psalm 34:18), and He surrounded us with a whole army of support, and with many other broken, bereaving mamas who came alongside me to understand me, encourage me, and give me practical wisdom for the hardest journey of my life. Praise God, we made it through the first month. Some friends came over for a couple of hours this week. I haven't felt very social at all. Being back at church was hard. And I knew seeing local friends again, starting up music classes again, and going back to our regular life would be hard. I didn't want to just resume all our normal activities & pick up where we left off as if nothing ever happened. I have to remind myself that just because we're returning to all of our