Skip to main content

5/14 Birth Plan

May 14, 2018 | 28 1/2 weeks

Aaron and I sat down to begin making a birth plan. At this point, it is mostly just a list of things we need to have with us at the hospital for the birth. But this is so different from our other birth plans.

With our first-born, we didn't really know what we were doing anyway, so we didn't have much of a birth plan, and it didn't really matter. Our home was 2 miles away from the hospital, so Aaron was able to drive home and pick up whatever we may have forgotten. Our second baby didn't have much of a birth plan, because he came too early, but by our third, we had a hospital bag ready to go. Our fourth was born at a birth center, and we were well taken care of there. Our fifth and sixth were home births, so we had everything we needed right here under our own roof.

This baby's birth will be completely unlike any of the others, though, which makes me feel a greater sense of urgency in creating a birth plan and making sure we thought of everything. Pictures, videos, footprints, measurements, and any other mementos we want, we need to know now, because we have no second chances with this precious little one. Once we hand over baby's lifeless body to the funeral home, we will not have a chance to ever look at or hold baby again. In the few short hours that we are expected to have with baby, we need to make sure we take all the pictures & videos necessary for making a lifetime of memories.

I want baby's footprints embedded in plaster, so we better not leave that footprint kit at home. I want videos of baby. I want to remember what baby's face and hands and feet looked like from all angles. If we forget to take videos, we won't have another chance to do it the next day or the week after, because we're not expected to have a next day with this one. I want a lock of baby's hair. I want baby to be wrapped in a special blanket, because this will be the only blanket that will ever wrap around this little child of mine, and I want it to be meaningful. I can't just go home with baby and choose from among our many blankets that happen to be around.

I want to bring the placenta home. Maybe even bring a piece of the umbilical cord home. I want baby's DNA in my home, in my daily life. I want more than just memories...I want physical reminders/evidence that this baby existed.

I want the funeral home to take baby's body. At this point, we still plan to cremate if baby is stillborn and do a burial if baby is born alive.

I want my kids to see their baby brother/sister whether baby is dead or alive. Since anything could happen any week, I feel like we can't plan any vacations or allow the kids to go away to any camps.

I want to rent a hospital-grade breast pump. My hope is to try and pump and donate breast milk for 3 months post-partum, 1 month for each baby we have had to say goodbye to. I feel like this will also give my body a chance to heal. I also think this will be very hard emotionally, but I'm hoping that it will help me as I grieve.

There are a lot of both big and little decisions to make. Some of these decisions are kind of inconsequential when it comes to a normal delivery, but I feel like in our situation we only have one chance to get it right, so there's such a strong sense of urgency.

I also need everything to be special and meaningful and intentional. Why this blanket? What does it symbolize to me? Is this what I want to see baby wrapped in when I hold baby's body? Is this how I want to forever remember our little one? Because, ultimately, all that we are expected to leave with are memories.

Our arms will be empty, so I want to fill up our hearts and minds with love, adoration, and beautiful, intentional memories of this little child of God.

Those few precious hours are all we're expected to have. There is no tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

5/6 Difficult Decisions

May 6, 2018 | 27 1/2 weeks Since I'm now coming up into my 3rd trimester, I need to start realistically thinking about the birth, but that involves making some difficult decisions. Do we induce birth and have a chance to see baby alive or do we wait it out and allow the baby to die in the womb? It's a battle between what I selfishly want and what I selflessly know would be best for baby. I want to hold a warm baby, alive and breathing. I want to smell the baby. I want to kiss baby's soft cheeks and wrap baby's tiny fingers around my own. I want to see baby's eyes open and close. I want to whisper into baby's ears just how much Mommy loves him/her. I want to hear baby breathing and feel baby wriggling. But all of this means that I am asking to have a baby slowly die in my arms second by second. What would be best for baby? Wouldn't it be better if baby never knew the harshness of sin in this world and was able to go from womb to glory? From the ultimate e