Skip to main content

6/6 Planning a Funeral

June 6, 2018 | 6 Days

I really don't want to be planning a funeral today. I want to be holding my baby, not planning her burial. But this is our reality, and I want to make it as sweet as possible.

I bought her a dress, one for her to wear, one to display at home in her memory box. Her dress comes with a purse. I will finally take off my hospital wristband (I've been wearing it since her birth) and bury it with her in her purse. She's my daughter all the way to the grave, and I want evidence of that even in the grave.

I don't know how to plan a funeral. Awkward questions come up. How will we dress? Will we wear all black? I don't want to be in black. But we're not necessarily celebrating, either. I bought myself a dress. I call it my Mila dress. I want to be able to wear it again throughout the years and remember her and smile.

What will be the mood of the funeral? When an old person dies, people are sad, but people are rejoicing. Someone in their mid-80s has lived life, plenty of it. They've got grandchildren and maybe great grandchildren. They are ready to go home to their Savior and meet their Maker.

It is so different when someone dies young. It feels so much more wrong. Especially when a child dies. Especially when a baby dies. Especially when it's your own baby.

Mila was alive. I held her. She opened her mouth and eyes. She squeezed my thumb. She wiggled on me. And then she wasn't anymore. She was dead. And I was left holding a tiny dead body. It felt so wrong.

It still feels so wrong.

And this feels wrong, planning a funeral.

I wish things were different & I wish Mila was here with me right now, and that painful longing hits so hard sometimes, but I'm thankful that the Lord has protected us from having any sort of negative experience with our Mila...in her pregnancy, labor, delivery, and even now in her funeral planning The staff at the cemetery has been so supportive & compassionate. Continued sweetness amidst the bitterness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

5/6 Difficult Decisions

May 6, 2018 | 27 1/2 weeks Since I'm now coming up into my 3rd trimester, I need to start realistically thinking about the birth, but that involves making some difficult decisions. Do we induce birth and have a chance to see baby alive or do we wait it out and allow the baby to die in the womb? It's a battle between what I selfishly want and what I selflessly know would be best for baby. I want to hold a warm baby, alive and breathing. I want to smell the baby. I want to kiss baby's soft cheeks and wrap baby's tiny fingers around my own. I want to see baby's eyes open and close. I want to whisper into baby's ears just how much Mommy loves him/her. I want to hear baby breathing and feel baby wriggling. But all of this means that I am asking to have a baby slowly die in my arms second by second. What would be best for baby? Wouldn't it be better if baby never knew the harshness of sin in this world and was able to go from womb to glory? From the ultimate e

6/2 A Birthday and a Burial Day

June 2, 2018 | Day 2 I would love to just go back to Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 3:24 pm and stay there a little longer, but I can't. Time moves forward. Life continues. The sun rises again, and a new day is before us. I have to move forward into the future as well. I feel like I should have a big black letter M for mourning stamped on me so that everyone knows what I'm going through right now, but instead I have to figure out how to move through each day carrying the grief that I'm carrying while the rest of the world continues on as it did before. I know that one day it will be much easier, but it's all so fresh on my mind and raw in my heart right now. Today is Auri's birthday, and we've been talking about his birthday for quite some time now, planning out how we're going to celebrate, what kind of cake he wants, and what gift we would give him. My mommy heart was torn between two children pulling me in opposite directions: grieving for Mila yet celebra