Skip to main content

4/22 Surprised by Sorrow

April 22, 2018 | 25 weeks

I went to church this morning feeling pretty strong. It was forecasted to be a beautiful sunny day, and we made plans to go to the beach afterwards. Enough time had passed since the most recent ultrasound, that life was back to feeling normal again.

Overall, I feel like I'm doing great, given the circumstances. The Lord has brought me to a place of acceptance with all that is going on with baby. But there are still moments when the pain & sorrow strike suddenly without notice. And it surprises me, because I generally feel pretty strong, but the Lord shows me my weakness in those times to remind me to trust in Him and not in my own strength.

In church today I saw another mom, a dear friend, with her newborn baby in a baby wrap. I had a quick flashback to all the times where I was the one walking in with my adorable baby in a baby wrap. Then I thought of how, this time, my arms will be empty, my stroller will be empty, my baby wraps and carriers will not be used. And a momentary sadness just completely set in. I never thought I would have issues seeing pregnant moms or newborn babies, but here I am struggling. How am I going to walk down those halls in the maternity ward, listen to all those beautiful babies cry, and leave empty-handed? 

I shared my struggle with a couple of women after service, and it was so good to be open and honest about how hard this is. I don't want to be stoic and pretend that this is easy. I want to feel the pain and allow it to work its way through me and allow God to work His grace through me.

We made it to the beach, and enjoyed the sand, the waves, the seashells, and our family. I'm so incredibly happy and blessed and content with my husband and six beautiful kids, so that's why I say I'm surprised by the sorrow. I generally feel pretty upbeat and positive. I am enjoying life, yet also still fully aware of my situation.

I am afflicted, but not crushed. Perplexed, but not driven to despair. Struck down, but not destroyed. For this light momentary affliction is preparing me for an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison. God's grace is sufficient for me.
-2 Corinthians 4:8-9, 4:17, 12:9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

5/6 Difficult Decisions

May 6, 2018 | 27 1/2 weeks Since I'm now coming up into my 3rd trimester, I need to start realistically thinking about the birth, but that involves making some difficult decisions. Do we induce birth and have a chance to see baby alive or do we wait it out and allow the baby to die in the womb? It's a battle between what I selfishly want and what I selflessly know would be best for baby. I want to hold a warm baby, alive and breathing. I want to smell the baby. I want to kiss baby's soft cheeks and wrap baby's tiny fingers around my own. I want to see baby's eyes open and close. I want to whisper into baby's ears just how much Mommy loves him/her. I want to hear baby breathing and feel baby wriggling. But all of this means that I am asking to have a baby slowly die in my arms second by second. What would be best for baby? Wouldn't it be better if baby never knew the harshness of sin in this world and was able to go from womb to glory? From the ultimate e