Skip to main content

4/16 Shame & Guilt

4/16/18 | 24 1/2 weeks

The first few days after an ultrasound are always hard. It's hard to look at enlarged kidneys, fluid around the heart. and no amniotic fluid. It's hard to accept that that's my baby up there on the screen. It's hard not to imagine that my baby might be suffering inside of me. It's hard not to wonder why.

And then all sorts of other thoughts creep in.

Should I have stuck to my original resolution & quit trying to have kids after those 2 miscarriages? Did I bring this upon myself because I was being stubborn? Aaron was ready to be done at 6 kids.

Was it the sandwich meat I ate during early pregnancy?

Was it the Wi-Fi radiating in our home 24/7?

I know it wasn't alcohol & it wasn't a lack of rest. I essentially bed rested myself those first few weeks.

Does God not like me anymore? Am I out of His favor? Is there sin in my life I'm not addressing?

I read these things that I've just written & they look like silly thoughts, but these are the feelings of shame & guilt that plagued me. And I felt like my growing belly was a scarlet letter of shame. I could think of plenty of reasons why I would deserve judgment instead of blessing from the Lord.

I'm not a good mom & shouldn't have any more kids. I'm not patient enough, not kind enough, not loving enough, not humble enough.

But then I thought of Job.

There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job, 
and that man was blameless and upright, 
one who feared God and turned away from evil...
Job 1:1

And the dialogue between God and Satan concerning Job.

And the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, 
that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, 
who fears God and turns away from evil?”
Then Satan answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for no reason? 
Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? 
You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 
But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face.”
Job 1:8-11

And Job's response when the Lord brought upon him the biggest trial ever of his life (all of his kids died & all of his possessions were taken away).

The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
Job 1:23

I'm not blameless like Job, but I did have it "easy" like Job. Was I only walking with the Lord because He made it so easy for me? What would I do when it wasn't so easy anymore? I blessed the name of the Lord when He gave & gave & gave. What will I do when He takes away? This would be a true testing of my faith. And I look forward to none of it. I imagine the ending of this story sometimes, and I break down & crumble.

But I do look forward to the character God is building in me through this experience. Our sufferings produce endurance, which produces character, which produces hope - Romans 5:3-5.

When my mind is bombarded with doubts and my heart is burdened with these feelings of shame and guilt, I have to make a conscious effort to choose to believe the truth of God's Word vs the lies of the enemy. Romans 8:28 tells me that God is working all things together for good, even this, even though it doesn't feel very good right now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

5/6 Difficult Decisions

May 6, 2018 | 27 1/2 weeks Since I'm now coming up into my 3rd trimester, I need to start realistically thinking about the birth, but that involves making some difficult decisions. Do we induce birth and have a chance to see baby alive or do we wait it out and allow the baby to die in the womb? It's a battle between what I selfishly want and what I selflessly know would be best for baby. I want to hold a warm baby, alive and breathing. I want to smell the baby. I want to kiss baby's soft cheeks and wrap baby's tiny fingers around my own. I want to see baby's eyes open and close. I want to whisper into baby's ears just how much Mommy loves him/her. I want to hear baby breathing and feel baby wriggling. But all of this means that I am asking to have a baby slowly die in my arms second by second. What would be best for baby? Wouldn't it be better if baby never knew the harshness of sin in this world and was able to go from womb to glory? From the ultimate e