Skip to main content

5/8 A Great Ultrasound

May 8, 2018 | 28 weeks

I had a great ultrasound and appointment this morning. This is now my 4th ultrasound with this pregnancy. The first ultrasound was disappointing, because we were not expecting that bad news. The second ultrasound was just sad, because the bad news was confirmed. The third ultrasound was hard, because I was hoping for some good news but instead received the same hard news. With each of these previous ultrasounds, I went in very "hopeful" & then experienced the disappointment of the painful reality we're facing, which threw us in a funk for the first few days afterwards.

This ultrasound was not great because of the news we received, but simply because of the way it went. I went in hoping to just bond with baby. I realize these ultrasounds may be our only chance to see baby alive, and I want to cherish them. So with that in mind, it was a great ultrasound. Everything I hoped and prayed it would be. Aaron came with me, and I explained to the tech what we wanted out of this ultrasound: that we understand the situation and just want to see our baby alive and bond with baby as much as possible. She totally facilitated, and we got to just sit and watch baby for as long as we wanted.

I really want to bond with this baby but I hardly get any baby kicks/wiggles/movement, so I often don't even feel pregnant, and then I feel like I'm not loving my baby enough. Even in the 15 minutes or so that we sat and stared at baby, the most activity we saw in baby was one kick & the mouth closing a few times (baby's mouth kind of hangs open). Since baby doesn't really move at all, our only signs of life, usually, are the daily heartbeat check & these monthly ultrasounds, but I truly felt like we got a chance to bond a little bit more with baby today. 

Baby still has a strong steady heartbeat of about 150 bpm. I don't have any amniotic fluid left (I haven't had any since about 20 weeks), but baby continues to grow little by little. Baby's overall measurements are still 2 weeks behind, except for the swollen abdomen, which measures right on track at 28 weeks. And baby still has some excess fluid around the heart. The doctor estimates that baby weighs about 2 lbs now. 

Aaron got to meet my doctor for the first time today. She expressed again just how supportive she was, and we discussed some more of my fears regarding the labor and delivery. She took the time to explain to us the pericardial effusion (fluid around baby's heart), and she eased our fears once again.

I'm extremely thankful for how today went and praying for grace & strength for the next 2 weeks until my next appointment, not allowing myself to worry about all the what ifs if I make it to term & have complications delivering, but just enjoying the time we have with our precious little one.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

5/6 Difficult Decisions

May 6, 2018 | 27 1/2 weeks Since I'm now coming up into my 3rd trimester, I need to start realistically thinking about the birth, but that involves making some difficult decisions. Do we induce birth and have a chance to see baby alive or do we wait it out and allow the baby to die in the womb? It's a battle between what I selfishly want and what I selflessly know would be best for baby. I want to hold a warm baby, alive and breathing. I want to smell the baby. I want to kiss baby's soft cheeks and wrap baby's tiny fingers around my own. I want to see baby's eyes open and close. I want to whisper into baby's ears just how much Mommy loves him/her. I want to hear baby breathing and feel baby wriggling. But all of this means that I am asking to have a baby slowly die in my arms second by second. What would be best for baby? Wouldn't it be better if baby never knew the harshness of sin in this world and was able to go from womb to glory? From the ultimate e