Skip to main content

6/2 A Birthday and a Burial Day

June 2, 2018 | Day 2

I would love to just go back to Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 3:24 pm and stay there a little longer, but I can't. Time moves forward. Life continues. The sun rises again, and a new day is before us. I have to move forward into the future as well. I feel like I should have a big black letter M for mourning stamped on me so that everyone knows what I'm going through right now, but instead I have to figure out how to move through each day carrying the grief that I'm carrying while the rest of the world continues on as it did before. I know that one day it will be much easier, but it's all so fresh on my mind and raw in my heart right now.

Today is Auri's birthday, and we've been talking about his birthday for quite some time now, planning out how we're going to celebrate, what kind of cake he wants, and what gift we would give him. My mommy heart was torn between two children pulling me in opposite directions: grieving for Mila yet celebrating Auri. Poor Auri. I didn't want him to be forgotten or feel neglected. I didn't want his day to feel overshadowed by the recent couple of days, but death does cast quite the shadow on things.

So today we made the choice to celebrate Auri. It took intentional effort, but I really wanted him to feel loved. We gave him his gift in the morning (Aaron got him a Toby Mac CD, and he loved it!) My dad took us all out to the Pancake House for brunch, and we forgot about our grief for a little while.

At 2 pm, though, we had an appointment with the cemetery to plan Mila's burial. Again, I felt so bad for Auri, because Aaron and I were gone for 4 hours, but we wanted to make all the necessary burial arrangements as soon as we could. Since we hadn't expected a live birth (not this soon anyway), we didn't have any plans made yet. At 31 weeks, we thought if anything happened, it would be a still birth and a cremation. We are thankful for how the Lord worked things out, and we saw His continued mercy even in the meeting at the cemetery. I had heard from a couple of other moms in similar situations that the cemetery can try to take advantage of you in your emotional distress and charge you with all sorts of hidden fees. I really did not want to be doing business at a time like this, so I prayed for an honest, compassionate person to meet with and I prayed that we would have no negative experiences regarding the funeral arrangements. The Lord kindly answered.

Mila will be buried at Forest Lawn on Tuesday, June 12 at 2pm. Working with this particular cemetery was very peaceful and I never felt ripped off at all. Instead, the cemetery offers very gracious pricing for baby burials. The coordinator we worked with was extremely kind and sensitive. We are thankful to the Lord for His continued mercy toward us, that we could have such a pleasant experience planning such a difficult thing.

When we finally got back home, all I could think about was making sure Auri felt loved on his birthday. After we put the younger 3 in bed, we popped some popcorn, snuggled up with him, and watched all of his baby videos.

Each of our kids needs us in different ways, especially in this current difficult season we're in. Today, one child needed a birthday to be planned while another needed a burial day to be planned. By God's grace, we managed to do both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/31 Baby Mila is Born

. May 31, 2018 | 31 weeks Our baby Mila was born today. 3 lb 1 oz and 14 3/4 inches of pure bliss. She stayed with us just long enough to meet her brothers and sisters, and then she breathed her last and went home to our Lord. We had been looking forward to May 31 for weeks. I was impatient about it, even. It was the day that our second opinion was scheduled. I was eager to find out more information about our baby. Instead, I got to meet her face to face. The Day Before Wednesday afternoon, just after 3 pm, I noticed that I had some sort of a discharge come out of me, out of the birth canal side. It was only a little bit. When I wiped, it kind of looked like diarrhea (an olive brown color), and I thought I must have leaked something when I passed gas. Super embarrassing. But anyway, when I wiped my other end, there was no sign of diarrhea whatsoever. So I googled it and concluded that it must be the beginning of some sort of infection, and I resolved not to eat any more chocol

3/19 Coping With the News

March 19, 2018 | 20 1/2 weeks I woke up the morning after that ultrasound , and didn't even feel pregnant anymore. I didn't bother to take my prenatal vitamins. I barely drank any water. What was the point anymore, I thought?  The grieving process had begun, and I just wanted to get this all over with and be on the other side. On the healing & moving-on-with-life side. From the way the doctor had talked about baby's condition and from the few case studies I had found, I thought it would be a matter of days, maybe a few weeks at most, before the full sting of death would hit, and in my heart and mind, I was living as if the baby was already dead. But it all felt so wrong. My baby is not dead, and maybe my baby won't die after all. Maybe the doctors are mistaken. Maybe God will choose to heal the baby. As long as there is a heartbeat, there is life, and there is hope.  King David was told that his baby would surely die. But his baby was born and even l

5/6 Difficult Decisions

May 6, 2018 | 27 1/2 weeks Since I'm now coming up into my 3rd trimester, I need to start realistically thinking about the birth, but that involves making some difficult decisions. Do we induce birth and have a chance to see baby alive or do we wait it out and allow the baby to die in the womb? It's a battle between what I selfishly want and what I selflessly know would be best for baby. I want to hold a warm baby, alive and breathing. I want to smell the baby. I want to kiss baby's soft cheeks and wrap baby's tiny fingers around my own. I want to see baby's eyes open and close. I want to whisper into baby's ears just how much Mommy loves him/her. I want to hear baby breathing and feel baby wriggling. But all of this means that I am asking to have a baby slowly die in my arms second by second. What would be best for baby? Wouldn't it be better if baby never knew the harshness of sin in this world and was able to go from womb to glory? From the ultimate e